Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fashion Phase

I had a great day today. Got the kid to school - talked to the office staff about the 4 things I needed to ask, made sure he knew where to go to get his schedule and locker info and then left. Went to work - arrived a little early, chatted with one of my co-workers that I don't get to have private conversations with very often, busted ass all day putting in jobs, took my lunch hour to come home and steam beans and prep tomatoes for some homemade soup, went back to work and hammered out the rest of what had to be done, came home, ran to the store, came back home... and found my s.o. in a pissy fucking mood.

Nothing like that to set me off. I poured myself a glass of wine, put another coat on my acrylic gel samples and here I am. I'm venting. I'm going to spend the evening doing what I want to do. Reading, knitting, maybe a little sewing - at least pattern making. I've got such a huge list of things and so little ambition sometimes. I'm skipping my run today since I ran 5.5-ish miles yesterday (maybe more maybe less, I never really measured it). This will give me an extra hour and a half to get more stuff done.

I've decided that there is something about making my own clothes that really appeals to me. I love having something that no one else could ever have because I made it myself, because I made the pattern, because the fabric I used was an old table cloth from a thrift store. I have always liked having my own style and mixing and matching thrift store finds with my brand new store bought stuff. But I've gotten tired of going to the store, trying on a bunch of crap - new styles that require a belt, or are just not what I'm in to, or are not the right color - and then seeing that it is all made in some third world country - probably by some under age, under paid, over worked person that can barely make ends meet just so that us stupid americans can get trendy clothes at a reasonable price - a price, by the way, that is still way too high and the store will still make money when the product is marked down by 80%. Sick. I really think I'm done buying clothes - except for maybe bras and underwear and maybe jeans - just because I can't imagine (and don't have the right tools for) making them.

I made myself a vest a few months ago. The first piece of clothing that I actually made in a very long time. I usually make curtains, purses, pillows and that kind of shit. But to actually make something that fits me and that I like and took the time and had the patience to sew well, that is something! That is part of the whole appeal of knitting too. Now I can make sweaters! I started making a coat, a beautiful longer length coat. sort of a cranberry color wool. Fabric that I had bought back in college from one of the grad students that had been trying to clean out her sewing room. I had originally intended to do cyanotype (hand-coated photographic process {old school}) prints all over it and turn it into some kind of a blanket or throw with a nice little blanket stitched edge - kind of like a woolworth style item but with more gusto and a lot more edgy and less pine-cones-and-oak-leaves-tame. BUT instead, I waited 10 years, started making a coat out of it and waited another two years, and now I need to finish it! I would love to have it done for this winter season.

I'm on the verge of another crazy fashion time of my life. Through the last two years of high school, and all of my college life, and then for a couple years after that I was a completely grunge-old-man-pants-wearing-mechanic-shirt-clad-flat-shoes-little-to-no-makeup-tom-boy. I'm going hippie-retro-punk-chic this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment